Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

In Defense [and attack] of Vocabulary


In high school, I would make the short drive back home during lunch period. Sure, this was partially inspired by my anti-social constitution, but I also much preferred my mother’s leftover casseroles to whatever greased slop the cafeteria palmed off as food. While microwaving said leftovers, though, I would routinely inhale an ice cream sandwich and a handful of Cheez-Its simultaneously. It never occurred to me that such a habit was strange—I had a limited amount of time and wanted to cram as much variety in those minutes as possible. Enough to offset my mild aversion for eating leftovers, at least. George Steinbrenner may have enjoyed eggplant calzones every single day, but such uniformity in gestation is unconscionable to me. For my birthday lunch, my loving wife presented a spread that included shrimp cocktail, three types of cheese, pistachios, potato chips, and Sour Patch Kids. I was so thrilled that I forgave the kalamata olives for their noted absence. When it comes to eating, I want options and variety.  

When writing or speaking, I also want more options. I enjoy the complexity and variety. Some prefer simplicity and limitations when it comes to language, and Twitter is the best and most salient current example. Verbal or written expression can be very challenging, and I understand opting for whatever makes things easier. At some point in time, unfortunately, having a vocabulary became downright uncool. As a society, we don’t have trouble praising other forms of intelligence or skills with a given craft, but a demonstrated aptitude with words may rub people the wrong way. Groupthink determined at some point that saying words like “banal” was pompous, elitist, gratuitous, or pretentious. Particularly when you’re a teenager, use of elevated vocabulary is as much an act of social suicide as joining the North Shore mathletes.


A lot of times, all that a vocabulary really indicates is that you've done a lot of reading. People have pointedly informed me that I “don’t have to” use big words, but some of us enjoy vocabulary like others might enjoy gardening, knitting, or braining the undead in video games. Incorporating new words into your speech might be as satisfying as throwing a touchdown pass, though some would prefer to liken it more to spinning a basketball—needlessly flashy and pointless.

Instead of accepting the social reprisals I willingly incur (and have in the past)[1] for saying “you slay me” instead of “that’s funny,” I’m here to fight fire with fire. Yes, dear reader, many popular words and expressions – adopted for comic purposes or the sake of simplicity – offend me and are corrosive to society at large. When I feel the push for social dialogue to mirror that exchanged by the vapid characters in “How I Met Your Mother” or “Friends,” I get a bit edgy and have no intention of sitting idly by. A few particular items gained enough cache to transform into memes, and they are forced down our unwilling throats like so many Channing Tatum films.

The terrorists, as it turns out, were craftier than we ever imagined. We’ve been looking for anthrax and WMDs while they’ve slyly waylaid us with a far shrewder incursion. If you use any of the following words and expressions, I’m sorry to tell you that you are a victim and, unfortunately, part of the problem.

The List

Before I begin, I want to acknowledge that many of the items on this list are merely common, stock expressions people use when they want to share something on social media. They represent the freeway that enables your thoughts to reach someone else. Viewed this way, none of the following are inherently inferior to any other available means of expression. All of my criticism is personal and subjective, and the fact that I’m even moved to write about this subject probably makes me a bit crazy. In truth, I feel a bit like this guy. Proceed with all due caution. Probably some undue caution, too.

1. That Awkward Moment

The tour de force of the terrorists’ linguistic jihad, this one has done so much damage that it serves as the namesake for an upcoming movie.[2] If the film stays true to popular use, expect for star Zac Efron to endure the gamut of encountering an ex girlfriend, arriving to a meeting with mismatched socks, and debating a Holocaust denier at a bar mitzvah. The only thing those examples have in common? That each of them can somehow be expressed through TAM.[3] When people invoke the word awkward, they usually mean something else, or something much more specific. While they may merely intend to convey some dramatized form of discomfort, more often they mean to project that a certain situation either a) is amusing or b) evokes a strong emotional response. Awkward somehow morphed into an incredibly flexible catchall word by which people present any experience they find Facebook worthy.

There are other words at your disposal. Use them.  


The above illustrates my point perfectly. This isn’t any more awkward than Florida Gulf Coast advancing to the Sweet 16. It may have seemed wildly improbable at one point in time, but the fact that it happened makes you uncomfortable?

2. Really? Seriously?

Believe it or not, incredulity can be expressed in other ways. I get it, though. This one is meant to serve as a rhetorical question, suggesting that an unfortunate event or someone’s behavior is beneath characterizing with adjectives. And that’s pretty bad.

3. Boss (adj.)

I focus here on “that was pretty boss” as distinct from “How ya doin’, boss?” though both may as well be Nickleback harmonized with babies crying against a chorus of people vomiting. How “boss” emerged from the innumerable corpses of slang words generally meaning “good,” I’ll never understand.  Give me tight, on point, or even noice ahead of boss.[4]



4. That ___, tho.

Here, I must confess that I probably don’t get it. Though (tho) can signify a change in topics or focus (e.g. "I think we should discuss our budget, though") or a counter to something (e.g. “Channing was good in Coach Carter, though”). As a conjunction, though can mean “in spite of the fact.” I’m not sure that this meme necessarily serves any of these functions, however. Mostly, I gather that it means X is good, or I plan to do X.

“That dunk, though.”

“About to eat this rack of ribs, though.”

Both examples are devoid of any context whatsoever, and that may be the entire point—whatever is expressed is apropos of nothing, but apparently good enough to transcend any context. Above any explanation, as it were.  

***



I’m here to liberate you from these star-crossed expressions. In lieu of a wizard’s staff and actual sorcery, I present the following case for a lexicon not confined to 180 characters.

1) Humor 

Unless you get your jollies from some troglodyte like Dane Cook,[5] it’s worth mentioning that much humor results from the gift of gab.


“There are all manner of lesser imps and demons, Pete, but the great Satan hisself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tail, and he carries a hayfork.” [O Brother, Where Art Thou]

MilesHalf my life is over and I have nothing to show for it. Nothing. I'am thumbprint on the window of a skyscraper. I'm a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage.
Jack: See? Right there. Just what you just said. That is beautiful. 'A smudge of excrement... surging out to sea.' [Sideways]

2) Eloquence for eloquence sake 


It can be as pleasing to the ear as a fine melody.



3) A Means to an End

Your stock of words can be employed to attain a certain objective. That’s right—words can help you get what you want! Do you want more or fewer weapons in that arsenal?

Imagine bullets metaphorically here, and I think you’ll get the idea. If you want more moving examples, consult some famous historical speeches. 


Of course, there are other uses for so-called big words, but this really should suffice. If you do not see the clouds peeled back and feel vaguely woozy from your erstwhile lexical enslavement, I’m afraid that you’re beyond elvish medicine. To the rest of you: Breathe the free air, my friends.






[1] Here’s an admission. It’s on me to determine whether my company and situation will respond favorably or unfavorably to certain lexical items. However, I’d like to mention that I was once mocked for saying “remarkable.” That, my friends, is not on me.
[2] One I won’t be viewing purely on principle, in case you were wondering. You have to stand for something in this world.
[3] I can’t bring myself to type it more than once.
[4] These are some of the worst slang examples for “cool” that I could produce.
[5] Heaven help you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment